School Counselor Lindsey Argote
As counselor of St. Angela Merici School, I want to introduce you to our counseling programs.
St. Angela Merici offers the services of a full-time counselor to assist students and families. The counselor helps to identify, assess, and resolve social, emotional, behavioral and academic difficulties that may interfere with achievement and adjustment in school. The school counselor will act at all times in a professional manner that is consistent with the legal and ethical standards that all school counselors uphold.
Counseling services include:
- Brief, individual sessions to address personal, social/ academic issues related to school
- Small group sessions to address conflict resolution
- Classroom guidance lessons using the Second Step curriculum
- Parent and teacher consultations to address personal, social and academic issues related to school
- Referral assistance to other services and programs in the community
- Coordination of evaluations for possible student exceptionalities
- Crisis intervention and prevention
“Lunch Bunch,” a small group that meets y during students’ lunchtime is also offered to participate in. Small groups help develop the skills and coping strategies needed to be successful in the school environment. Targeted skills may be in areas such as friendship, communication, anger management, and social skills. Small groups meet once a week during lunch for a full nine-week quarter, and are divided by grade level and gender. While Lunch Bunch is encouraged, it is 100% optional. Students usually enjoy interacting with their peers in a small group setting and are comforted by discovering that other children are navigating the challenges of growing up as well.